Marquette County is named for Father Pere Jacques Marquette, who was a French missionary.
Created: December 7.1836
Marquette 1836 – 1859
Montello 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Montello
Location: 77 West Park Street / Underwood Avenue
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Albert Parkinson of Parkinson & Dockendorff of LaCrosse
Contractor: Hans P Knudson of Waupaca
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on a landscaped hill in the center of the city. The building has Bedford limestone and Montello granite which was locally quarried. The building sits on the side of a steep hill. The building has a portico on the first story, supported by square brick pillars. There is a projecting cornice below the roof line. The base is dark red granite. The interior has terrazzo floors and walls with dark oak trim. On the east side is a new two story red colored brick addition constructed in 2002, which sits down the side of the hill.
Note: In 1915, the contracts awarded were Downey Heating & Supply Company for plumbing and Deiebold Safe & Lock Company for jail hardware. The building contract to Hans P Knudson was $47,286.00. The land was acquired from the Montello Granite Comapany which supplied the foundation stone.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Marquette County Courthouse
N – Waushara County
S – Columbia County
W – Adams County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012