Waupaca County is named for a Menominee word meaning “white sand bottom” or “brave young her”.
Created: February 17, 1851
Mukwa 1851 – 1890
Waupaca 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Waupaca
Location: 811 Harding Street / Royalton Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Sauter Seaborne Architects
Contractor: P G Miron Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, stone, glass and concrete structure. The south front of the building has two large square light colored brick towers with tired levels between and with an extending stone faced portico over the glass entrance on the ground floor. Other brick towers are placed around the building. The windows are horizontal with white stone facing between each story.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Waters in 1882. An addition was designed by William Waters and constructed in 1906.
N – Shawano County
W – Portage County
Photos taken 2007