Buena Vista is named for the Buena Vista Company, which founded an iron mine in the area and established the town for its laborers.
Independent City Created: February 15, 1892
Courthouse – Buena Vista
Location: 2039 Sycamore Avenue / 21st Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Hinnant, Addison & Hinnant of Lexington
Contractor: C L Lewis Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The center section rises higher than the north and south wings and has long arched windows. The roof line is flat. The Circuit Court is in the south section and the District Court is in the north section. The building also houses the city offices.
Old Courthouse – Buena Vista
Location: 2110 Magnolia Avenue / 21st Street
Architect: Buena Vista Company
Contractor: Buena Vista Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two and a half story structure. The west front has a central entrance on the first story with small canopy above. A central tower rises in the center with mansard roof. The windows are arched with two or three sections. The mansard roof has dormers. The building was constructed as the Land Office for the Buena Vista Company and converted in 1889 to a courthouse.
photos taken 2013