Grayson County is named for William Grayson, who was a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1784 to 1787 and on of the first United States Senators from Virginia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: November 7, 1792
Greenville 1793 – 1850
Independence 1850 – present
Old County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 107 East Main Street / Independence Avenue
Built: 1908 – 1909
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: P O Shrake and E L Robbins of Grassy Creek
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Independence, The south front has a central entrance on the first story with small portico with balcony on the second story. At each corner are large octagonal towers with steep roofs. The building is complete with Flemish gables, a hip roof, arched windows and spiral staircases. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Grayson County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 129 Davis Street / Independence Avenue
Built: 1977 – 1979
Architect: Hinnant, Adison & Hinnant of Lexington
Contractor: Richard E Phillirri, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building sits on the side of a hill in the center of Independence overlooking the old courthouse to the south. The center section is white colored concrete with vertical pillars framing the large recessed windows and glass panel entrance. Wings on the east and west sides extend from the main building and have a wide concrete belt along the roof line and extending across the center section. he building was renovated in 2011. The architect was Encompas, IPS, Inc. and the contractor was Highlands Mechanical ASF Corporation.
Old County Courthouse – Greenville ( Old Town )
Location: NE – Greenville Road . Justice Road
Built: 1834 – 1835
Style: Coloninal Revival
Architect: James Toncray
Contractor: James Toncray
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Greenville ( Old Town ) at the junction of highway 640 and 634. The central block is two stories with central entrance on the first story, Above the entrance is a small balcony. There are recessed two story wings on the east and west sides. The roof is hipped. The interior has eight fireplaces. On the south across Greenville Road is the Clerk’s Office built in 1810.
History: The first county meeting in 1793 took place in a barn near Greenville ( Old Town ). The first courthouse was a log structure built in Greenville on 1794. The second courthouse was a two story structure built by James Toncray in 1834 across the road from the old courthouse. The county seat was moved to Independence in 1850. The third courthouse was built in 1863. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1909. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1977 to 1979.
Note: The highest point in Virginia is Mount Rogers at 5729 feet ( 1716 meters ) which is located in the county.
County Courthouse – Independence
Photos taken 2013