Botetourt County is named for Norborne Berkeley, who was the Baron de Botetourt known as Lord Botetourt and who was the governor of the Virginia Colony from 1767 to 1770.
Created: November 7, 1769
Fincastle 1770 – present
County Courthouse – Fincastle
Location: 1 West Main Street / Roanoke Street
Built: 1972 – 1974
Style: Modern Colonial
Architect: Hinnant, Addison and Hinnant of Lexington
Contractor: Montgomery Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located om landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are east and west wings. On the center of the roof is square white colored cupola with clock ad spite at the top. On the west side of the courthouse are the Old Jail, Old District Court and Extension Building.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1773 and the second courthouse was built by William Barton in 1818. The courthouse constructed by Smith & Stratton in 1848, burned in a fire on December 15, 1970. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $743,377.
District Court – Fincastle
Location: NE – East Back Street / Roanoke Street
Built: 1997 – 1988
Architect: Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern
Contractor: Martin Brothers Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a two story section at the west side with canopy at the entrance and high windows on the second story. Above is a clock with pitched roof. The west wing is one story with hipped roof and the east wings is large and has a hipped roof.
East – Bedford County
South – Roanoke County
Picture 1848 Courthouse
Old District Court
District Courts Building
Photos taken 2013