Staunton is named for Lady Rebecca Stauton, wife of colonial Lieutenant Governor William Gooch.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Augusta County
E – Augusta County
S – Augusta County
W – Augusta County
Courthouse – Staunton
Location: 113 East Beverley Street / North New Street
Built: 1869 – 1870
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Staunton. The building has a raised basement with central stone framed entrance. There are horizontal stone belts. The roof is hipped. The building was originally built as an opera house Grange Hall and was converted in the 1878 to serve as the City Hall. A new façade was constructed in 1929 to 1930. The architect was Sam Collins. In 1993, the building was converted into a courthouse and dB Associates of Charlottesville was the architect. The building is named as the Cochran Justice Center and the Circuit Court and General District Court of the 25th Judicial Circuit.
County District Courts Building – Staunton
The Juvenile and Domuestic Relations Court is housed in the Augusta County District Courts Building.
See: The 25th Judicial Circuit includes Alleghany County, Augusta County, Bath County, Botetourt County, Buena Vista, Clifton Forge, Covington, Craig County, Highland County, Lexington, Rockbridge County and Waynesboro.
History: The Independent City was created in 1870. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1869 to 1870. In 1993, the building was converted entirely to a courthouse.
City Hall – Staunton
Photos taken 2013