Augusta County is named for Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, who was Princess of Wales between 1736 and 1751.
Created: August 1, 1738
Staunton 1745 – present
County Courthouse – Staunton
Location: 1 East Johnson Street / South Augusta Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: T J Collins & Son
Contractor: A F Withrow & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to an ornate pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome topped with a lantern and statue of Justice. The second story windows are arched. An addition was added in 1939.
Note: The first courthouse to stand on this site was built in about 1745 but was soon replaced by a larger building that stood until 1835. The 1835 courthouse stood until 1900 when it was razed to make way for the current building that was completed in 1901.
County District Court – Staunton
Location: 6 East Johnson Street / South Augusta Street
Built: 1951 – 1953
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a central glass entrance. With a projecting section rising above the roof line on the south side. The roof line is flat. The building is located across from the courthouse.
Note - Within the county is the independent city of Waynesboro
Photos taken 2013