Clifton Forge

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Clifton Forge
0647VM13

Clifton Forge is named for “Clifton”, an estate in Lexington owned by the father of William Lyle Alexander of Lexington, who owned a forge near Iron Gate and name the place in honor of his father’s estate.

 

Created:  1906

 

Courthouse – Clifton Forge

 

Location:  547 Main Street / Jefferson Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  H C Allen

Contractor:  C H Turner & Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front projects from the main building and has a large portico supported by four tall columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with stone and the window headers are stone. On the center of the roof is a square clock tower with steep gold colored roof. The building was remodeled in 1946 after a fire. The architect was H M Miller of Roanoke and the contractor was Charles W Barger & Son of Lexington. The city ceased to be an independent city in 2001 and is now a town. The building served as the courthouse and is now the Town Hall.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Alleghany County

E – Alleghany County

S – Alleghany County

W – Allegany County

 

 

 

0648vm13

Courthouse

 

 

0649vm13

 

 

0650vm13

 

 

0651vm13

 

 

0652vm13

 

 

0653vm13

 

 

0654vm13

 

 

0655vm13

 

 

0656vm13

 

 

0657vm13

Photos taken 2013