Rockbridge is named for the natural rock arch found in the county.
Created: October 20, 1777
Lexington 1777 – present
Old County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 2 South Main Street / Washington Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William George McDowell
Contractor: A F Withrow
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The northwest front has a recessed center section with central entrance on the first story and three large arched windows between columns on the second story with pediment above at the roof line. The sides of the building have slightly projecting center sections rising to pediments at the roof line. The base of the building is course stone and the roof is hipped. The building is now used for county offices.
Note: A courthouse was constructed in 1778 by Samuel Lyle, John Lyle and Alexander Stuart and was replaced in 1787 by a courthouse constructed by William Brice. The 1787 courthouse was damaged by fire in 1796 and 1802 and was destroyed by fire in 1889.
County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 20 South Randolph Street / Nelson Street
Built: 1907 – 1909
Architect: BCWH Architects
Contractor: Branch & Associates, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. On the south and west sides are entrances at the southwest corner with two white colored columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with glass panels between and a large projecting header above. A horizontal belt runs above the first story and a cornice follows the flat roof line. The base of the building is stone facing.
N – Augusta County
S – Botetourt County
Note – Within the county is the independent city of Buena Vista
Photos taken 2013