Alleghany County is named for Lenape Native American word meaning “fine river”.
Created: June 5, 1822
Covington 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Covington
Location: 266 West Main Street / North Monroe Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: C A Robinson
Contractor: George Leigh & Brothers
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story stone structure. The southeast front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are east and west wings which are lower than the main building. The second story windows are arched. On the southwest side is the large stone Alleghany County Jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1822. The second courthouse was constructed by H J Shomo and John Plunkett in 1877.
Note – Within the county is the former independent city of Clifton Forge
N – Bath County
W – Greenbrier County, West Virginia
Photos taken 2013