Shenandoah County is named for the Shenandoah River which flows through the county, and the name is derived from the Indian word meaning “daughter of the skies”.
Created: March 24, 1772
Woodstock 1772 – present
County Courthouse – Woodstock
Location: 112 South Main Street / West Court Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Hinnant, Addison and Hinnant of Lexington
Contractor: Central Valley Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The southeast front has a wide porch with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a northeast wing extending from the west side of the building. On the roof of the building is an octagonal cupola with steep sided dome. The roof is hipped.
District Court – Woodstock
Location: 215 Mill Road / Main Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Moseley Associates of Richmond
Contractor: Nielsen Builders, Inc. of Harrisburg
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a projecting center section with concrete pillars and glass paneled walls. The entrances are on either side. The main building is red colored brick with a concrete pillar supporting an extending roof on either side of the building. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Woodstock
Location: NW – South Main Street / West Court Street
Built: 1795 – 1796
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Thomas Jefferson
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The southeast front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a high octagonal cupola with spite shaped dome at the top. Additions were added in 1820, 1840 and 1885. The portico was constructed in 1927. The architect for the addition in 1929 was T F Schneider. The building was renovated in 2013. The architect was RRMM Architects and the contractor was Caldwell Santmyer.
Note: David Hoshour made the bricks for the courthouse and his son John Hoshour constructed the rear addition to house the clerk’s office in 1880. The original building was probably constructed using slave labor.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Shenandoah County Courthouse
County Administration – Woodstock
Location: 600 North Main Street / Mill Road
Built: 1933 – 1934
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete School style structure. The west front has a high portico supported by four pillars rising to a pediment. There is stone work above the windows. The roof line is flat. The building served as the Woodstock High School and other school uses until 1994. In 1999, the building was renovated and a new section constructed on the east side. The architect was Miller Cupp Associates of Harrisburg and the contractor was Howard Shockey & Sons, Inc of Winchester.
N – Frederick County
W – Hardy County, West Virginia
County District Court
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2013