Arkansas County is named for the State of Arkansas which is what the Quapaw Indians were called “Arkansea” which means “south wind” or “downstream people”.
Created: December 31, 1813
Arkansas Post 1813 – 1855
DeWitt 1855 – present ( Southern District )
Stuttgart 1928 – present ( Northern District )
* Arkansas County has two county seats
County Courthouse – Stuttgart
Location: 305 South College Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J B Barrett of Stuttgart
Contractor: Barrett and Ogletree of Stuttgart
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has brick piasters dividing the dual windows with the central entrance on the first story. Above is a wide pediment below the roof line. A horizontal white band runs below the first story and the basement. On the north side is another wide pediment and central entrance. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – DeWitt
Location: 101 Court Square / Main Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: H Ray Burks of Little Rock
Contractor: E V Bird Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has concrete piasters rising to a horizontal header running below the roof line. The central entrance is flanked with concrete facing with larg window above on the second and third stories. At the roof line above the entrance is a clock. On the east side are two low wings constructed to house waults. The architect was Colvin, Miller & Associates Inc. and the contractor was J C Carter.
Note: The first courthouse was built by David Quertermeus in 1862. The previous courthouse was constructed by J F Swanson and A H Soakland in 1891.
S – Desha County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017