Desha County is named for Benjamin Desha, who was a soldier during the War of 1812.
Created: December 12, 1838
Belleville 1839 – 1843
Napoleon 1843 – 1847
Watson 1847 – 1881
Arkansas City 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Arkansas City
Location: 604 Robert S Morse Avenue / Natchez Street
Architect: Rome Harding of Little Rock
Contractor: W D Holtzman Company of Little Rock
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The southeast front has a small porch at the central entrance with large arch and railed balcony on the second story. There are large arched windows on the second story. At the roof line is a large dormer with arched window. On the southwest corner is a high square clock tower with steep roof. On the northeast side is a recessed wing. The building was renovated in 2005. The architect was Twin Rivers Architecture and the contractor was Arka-Tex remodeling Inc.
County Courthouse Annex – Arkansas City
Location: President Street / Robert S Morse Avenue
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Colonial Revival and Renaissance Revival
Architect: Clyde A Ferrell
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a large square central tower rising to a third story. The roof is hipped. The building served as the Arkansas City High School and was converted in 2003. The architect was Twin Rivers Architecture and the contractor was Southwest Building Concepts, Inc.
E – Bolivar County, Mississippi
S – Chicot County
Photos taken 2012