Clark County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Clark County
Clark

Clark County is named for William Clark, who was an explorer and a Governor of the Missouri Territory.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Montgomery County and Hot Spring County

E – Dallas County

S – Ouachita County and Nevada County

W – Pike County

 

Created:  December 15, 1818                Map of Arkansas highlighting Clark County

County Seat:

Caddo River  1818 – 1825

Hollywood     1825 – 1827

Biscoeville     1827 – 1831

Greenville      1831 – 1842

Arkadelphia   1842 – present

 

County Courthouse – Arkadelphia

 

Location:  419 Clay Street / South 4th Street

Built:  1899 – 1900

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Charles L Thompson of Little Rock

Contractor:  R S O’Neal

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Arkadelphia. On the northwest corner is a high six story dark red colored brick clock tower with steep roof. The north front has a central recessed arched entrance. On the northeast corner is a hexagonal tower with hexagonal roof. The roof is hipped with a dormer. The base of the building is course stone. The interior remains in excellent condition and has the original wooden trim, ceramic tile floors and wainscoting. Both large interior stairways are unaltered and have newel posts. The courtroom is located on the second story and the judge’s chamber and jury room exhibit a high degree of craftsmanship. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the East 9th Judicial District. The building was restored in 1998 after a tornado.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Clark County Courthouse

 

See:  The 9th Judicial District includes Howard County, Little River CountryPike County and Sevier County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1818 and the home of Jacob Barkman on the Caddo River was the county seat and served as the first courthouse. In 1825, Hollywood was selected as the county seat and the county government was located in the residence of Adam Stroud which served as the second courthouse. The county seat was moved to Biscoeville in 1827 and then to Greenville in 1831 where land was offered in Greenville for a courthouse and jail, but none were built. The county seat was moved to Arkadelphia (Blakelytown) in 1842 and the third courthouse, a two story brick structure was built in 1844. The building was demolished in 1899. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1899 to 1900.

 

County District Courthouse – Arkadelphia

 

1002a11

 

Location:  419 Clay Street / South 4th Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds along the west side of the courthouse in the center of Arkadelphia. The south front has a large arched entrance with portico supported by two white colored columns. On east side of the front is a  glass panel wall. The north side has five large glass panel sections. The roof is hipped. A one story wing extends south west. The building houses the County District Court of the 40th Judicial District. 

 

Note:  Clark County was one of the five original administrative districts created in 1809 to 1819 being  Arkansas CountyHempstead CountyLawrence County and Pulaski County.

 

 

0995a11

County Courthouse – Arkadelphia

 

 

0992a11

 

 

0994a11

 

 

0996a11

 

 

0997a11

 

 

1252l19

 

 

1000a11

 

 

1001a11

 

 

1258l19

County District Courthouse – Arkadelphia

 

 

1003a11

 

 

1005a11

 

 

1006a11

 

 

1004a11

 

 

1263l19

 

 

1007a11

 

 

1008a11

 

 

1009a11

Salt Kettle

 

 

1010a11

Photos taken 2011 and 2019