Hempstead County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Hempstead County
Hempstead

Hempstead County is named for Edward Hempstead, who was a Delegate to the United States House of Representatives from the Missouri Territory.

 

Created:  December 15, 1818

County Seat:        

Washington  1824 – 1938

Hope             1938 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hope

 

Location:  400 South Washington Street / West 5th Street

Built:  1939 – 1940

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  McAninch & Anderson

Contractor:  B W Edwards

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east front has a central projecting entrance framed with concrete friezes. Above the second story, the building is recessed with vertical brick dividers between the vertical windows. The roof line is flat. There are two story north and south wings. In 1994 an addition was added on the north side. The architect was  Wittenberg, Deloney and Davidson and the contractor was Ideal Construction Company. In 2012 the addition was expanded.

 

Old County Courthouse – Washington

 

1083t17

 

Location:  Franklin Street / Henry Clay Street

Built:  1836

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Tilman L Patterson

Contractor:  Tilman L Patterson

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Washington Courthouse State Park. The courtroom is on the first story. The building was restored in 1930. The architect was J N Porter and the contractor was A P Bailey. The Clerk’s Office on the northwest was built by Daniel E Alexander in 1839 and is located on the property.

 

Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $1,850. The building was used as the Confederate State Capitol after Little Rock fell to Union forces in 1863. The first courthouse was a one room building built by Tilman L Patterson.

 

Old County Courthouse – Washington

 

1065t17

 

Location:  103 Franklin Street / Morrison Street

Built:  1872 – 1874

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Green & Son of Little Rock 

Contractor:  Ezekial Treadway

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Washington Courthouse State Park. The northeast front has a slightly projecting center section with entrance on the first story. On the roof is a square cupola. The building served as a courthouse until 1939.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $21,454.34.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Pike County

E – Nevada County

S – Lafayette County

W – Miller County, Little River County, Sevier County and Howard County

 

 

 

1051t17

 

 

1892t10

 

 

1893t10

 

 

1894t10

 

 

1058t17

 

 

1052t17

 

 

1053t17

 

 

1054t17

 

 

1055t17

 

 

1896t10

 

 

1898t10

 

 

1900t10

 

 

1899t10

 

 

1060t17

 

 

1080t17

 

 

1081t17

 

 

1084t17

 

 

1085t17

 

 

1086t17

 

 

1087t17

 

 

1088t17

 

 

1090t17

 

 

1094t17

 

 

1093t17

 

 

1097t17

 

 

1066t17

 

 

1068t17

 

 

1070t17

 

 

1072t17

 

 

1074t17

 

 

1075t17

 

 

1076t17

 

 

1077t17

 

 

1078t17

 

 

1079t17

Photos taken 2010 and 2017