Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: November 2, 1829
Boone’s Cabin 1829 – 1832
Pine Bluff 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Pine Bluff
Location: 101 East Barraque Street / Main Street
Built: 1838 – 1840
Architect: Jacob Brump, Alonson Spauling and W H Lindsay
Contractor: Jacob Brump, Alonson Spauling and W H Lindsay
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building was a wood structure when constructed. The south front has a central entrance on the first story and rises to a square white brick tower with clock and gold dome vat the top. The centre section projects from the main building. There is a sloped roof. The building is the oldest courthouse in Arkansas. From 1856 to 1860, the building was rebuilt of brick. The architect was Jacob Brump and the contractor was George G Keeler. The building was renovated from 1889 to 1890. The architect wad Edwin Cook and the contractor was William Hillard. From 1978 to 1980, a modern buff brick addition was constructed retaining the old courthouse ion the centre following a fire. The architect was Reed Willis and Burks, Ltd. and the contractor was Richardson Construction Company Inc.
District County Courthouse – Pine Bluff
Location: South State Street / East 3rd Avenue
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: Reed Architectural Firm Ltd.
Contractor: LCS of Arkansas
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story concrete structure.
E – Arkansas County
W – Grant County
Photos taken 2011