Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was an American naval officer during the War of 1812.
Created: January 15, 1815
Lawrence 1815 – 1829
Jackson 1829 – 1837
Smithville 1837 – 1868
Clover Bend 1868 – 1869
Powhatan 1869 – 1963 ( Western District )
Walnut Ridge 1887 – 1963 ( Eastern District )
Walnut Ridge 1963 – present
County Courthouse – Walnut Ridge
Location: 315 West Main Street / SW 3rd Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Noland Blass of Erhart, Eichenbaum, Rauch and Blass
Contractor: McDaniel Brothers Construction Company of Jonesboro
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces northeast and was completed in 1965. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The center section rises above the east and west wings and has a high central entrance with over hanging roof. The windows are vertical with white colored panels above and below. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Charles Thompson and constructed by Stewart Brothers in 1901. The building was razed when the present courthouse was constructed.
Old County Courthouse – Powhatan
Location: Highway 25
Style: Late Victorian
Architect: D A McKinnon of Paducah, Kentucky
Contractor: Boon & McGinnis of Little Rock
Description: The buildingfaces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located at the top of a hill on the spacious grounds of the Powhatan Historic State Park. The east front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story and three narrow windows on the second story and rising to a square white colored cupola with steep roof. The base of the building has course buff colored stone. Above the eaves are small dormers and a mansard roof. The building was restored in 1973. The architect was Little, Maddox & Standefer Architects Inc. of Jonesboro and the contractor was Damron Construction Company of Jonesboro.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1873 as the western district courthouse. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $12,000.
W – Sharp County
Photos taken 2011