Mohave County

US States / A-G / Arizona / Mohave County
Mohave

Mohave County is named for the Mohave an Native American people, one of the Yuma tribes who reside in the area. 

                    

Created:  November 8, 1864

County Seat:        

Mohave City   1864 – 1867

Hardyville       1867 – 1873

Cerbat            1873 – 1877

Mineral Park   1877 – 1887

Kingman         1887 – present

County Courthouse – Kingman

Location:  401 East Spring Street / North 4th Street

Built:  1914 – 1915

Style:   Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Lescher & Kibbey of Phoenix

Contractor:  J M Wheeler and Collamore & Son of Arkansas

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story rough gray stone structure.  Native stone from Metcalfe Quarry was used. The building has a large portico supported by four large stone tapered Doric columns. There is a small iron-railed balcony above the recessed entrance. The pediment of rough stone has a clock in the centre. A central domed with stained glass skylight is located above the second story courtroom. An addition has been added on the west side. On the east side of the building is the old County Jail built in 1910.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Washington County, Utah and Kane County, Utah

E – Coconino County and Yavapai County 

S – La Paz County

W – San Bernardino County, California, Clark County, Nevada and Lincoln County, Nevada

 

 

 

 

1522az08

 

 

1524az08

 

 

1521az08

 

 

1523az08

 

 

1527az08

 

 

1529az08

 

 

1531az08

 

 

1530az08

Photos taken 2008