Maricopa County is named for the Maricopa Native American people who inhabited the area.
Created: February 12, 1871
Phoenix 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Phoenix
Location: 125 West Washington Street / South 1st Avenue
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Pueblo Deco
Architect: Edward F Neild ( County section ) / Lescher and Mahoney ( City section )
Contractor: Edwards, Wildey and Dixon
Description: The building faces north and is a five story structure. Although unified in its exterior appearance, the building was designed as two independent buildings with the County Courthouse on the east side and the City Hall on the west side. The exterior is constructed of terra cotta and poured concrete with bronze and polished granite details and red clay roofing.
County Central Court Building – Phoenix
Location: 201 West Jefferson Street / South 2nd Avenue
Built: 1996 – 1998
Description: The building faces north and is a thirteen story concrete, steel and stone structure. The building and has a high central section. There is an East Court Building and a West Court Building.
N – Yavapai County
Photos taken 2008