Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States of America.
Created: March 3, 1852
Washington 1852 – 1863
St. George 1863 – present
County Courthouse – St. George
Location: 87 North 200 Street East / East 200 Street North
Built: 1980 – 1981
Architect: Willard C Nelson Associates Inc.
Contractor: Warren L Hanning & Sons Construction, Ltd.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is built on the side of a low hill. The entrance is on the second story and has a wide portico supported by large concrete columns. The windows are narrow and vertical. A wide concrete band follows the roof line. The building is known as the Hall of Justice.
County Administration – St. George
Location: 197 Tabernacle Street / South 200 Street East
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: John S Rowley
Contractor: Carter Brothers
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a central portico supported by four thin pillars and rising to the roof line. A wide yellow colored panels divide the windows on the first and second stories.
Old County Courthouse – St. George
Location: 85 East 100 North Street / St. George Boulevard
Built: 1866 – 1876
Architect: Miles Romney
Contractor: E L Parry & Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a two story salmon red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a high portico with two columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony above the entrance. The eaves project at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola. The building now houses the Chamber of Commerce.
Note: The building plans were approved by the court committee consisting of Judge James D McCullough and the Selectmen Robert D Covington, Jacob Gates and Annon P Winsor and the contractor was Jacob Gates who supervised construction by the local trades.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Washington County Courthouse
N – Iron County
E – Kane County
W – Lincoln County, Nevada
Photos taken 2008