San Bernardino County is named for Saint Bernardino of Siena
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Inyo County
E – Clark County, Nevada, Mohave County, Arizona and La Paz County, Arizona
S – Riverside County and Orange County
W – Los Angeles County and Kern County
Created: April 26, 1853
San Bernardino 1853 – present
County Courthouse – San Bernardino
Location: 251 North Arrowhead Avenue / West 3rd Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Howard E Jones and DeWitt Mitcham
Contractor: R W Wescott of Alhambra
Description: The building faces west and is a three story monotone pink-beige cast stone, stucco and concrete structure. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. On the second and third stories are eight columns dividing the windows and rising to a wide header. At the end of the north and south wings are further columns on the second and third stories. A wing was added on the east side in 1959.
Note: An earthquake in 1923 severely damaged the red Mentone sandstone courthouse constructed in 1893. The architect was Charles H Jones and his nephew Howard E Jones was architect of the presemnt courthouse.
See: National Register of Historic Places – San Bernadino County Courthouse.
New County Courthouse – San Bernardino
Location: 303 West 3rd Street / North Arrowhead Avenue
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: Skidmore, Owings, Merrill
Contractor: Rudolph and Sletten
Description: The building faces north and is an eleven story steel, concrete and glass structure. The building is presently under construction.
See: The county is located in the 4th Appellate District Court of Appeal – Santa Ana
Other Branch Courthouses
Barstow / Redlands / Victorville
Photos taken 2013