Coconino County

US States / A-G / Arizona / Coconino County
Coconino

Coconino County is named for the Coconino Native American people, a Hopi designation for Havasupai and Yavapai people who reside in the area.      

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Kane County, Utah and San Juan County, Utah

E  – Navajo County

S – Gila County and Yavapai County

W – Mohave County

              

Created:  February 19, 1891                  Map of Arizona highlighting Coconino County

County Seat:        

Flagstaff  1891 – present

County Courthouse – Flagstaff

Location:  200 North San Francisco Street / East Birch Avenue

Built:  1894 – 1895

Style:  Richardsonian Romanesque

Architect:  J N Preston

Contractor:  H Clements & Company of Los Angeles, California

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Flagstaff. The building has a four story square red colored sandstone tower on the southwest corner. The main entrance at the base of the tower has two arches framing the recessed doors. The second story windows are arched. The building houses the County Justice Court. The building has been restored to its 1925 appearance. The architect was Johnson Walzer Associates and the contractor was Maverick Masonry. Along the north side is the new Judicial Center built in 2002.

 

County Judicial Center  - Flagstaff

 

coconino-d

 

Location:  200 North San Francisco Street / East Birch Avenue

Built:  2001 – 2002

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Johnson Walzer Associates

Contractor:  Skidmore Contracting Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Flagstaff along the west side of the courthouse. The building has a recessed porch along the south side on the first story. The upper windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is attached on the south side to the old court house. The building houses the County Superior Court of Division I. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1861 and Flagstaff was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 2001 to 2002.

 

Note:  The highest point in Arizona is Humphreys Peak at 12,633 feet ( 3851 meters ) which is located in the county. 

 

1848az08

County Courthouse – Fladstaff

 

 

1847az08

 

 

1846az08

 

 

1844az08

 

 

1853az08

 

 

1845az08

 

 

1850az08

 

 

1851az08

 

 

1849az08

 

 

1856az08

County Administration Building – Flagstaff

Photos taken 2008