Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Nye County
W – Clark County
Created: February 25 , 1866
Crystal Springs 1867
Hiko 1867 – 1871
Pioche 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Pioche
Location: 1 Main Street / 4th Street North
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: A Lacy Worswick of Las Vegas
Contractor: L F Dow of Los Angeles, California and Las Vegas
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Pioche. The building has a higher center section with one story east and west wings. On the upper front are horizontal lines. The building has a flat roof. The courtroom is located on the north side of the first floor.
Note: After an initial bidding process in which all bids were above the $60,000 budget, a second bid in 1938 produced a low bid of $49,347. The low bidder was L F Dow of Los Angeles and Las Vegas. The building has served as the county courthouse, jail, county sheriff’s office and state office building ever since.
Old County Courthouse – Pioche
Location: 25 Lacour Street / Hoffman Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Architect: T Dimmock and Thomas Keefe
Contractor: Edward Donohue
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has an arched entrance on the first story with small balcony above on the second story with another arched doorway. Vertical brick pilasters separate the windows and center section. A cornice runs below the roof linr with a square parapet at the center of the north front.
Note: The construction contract went to Edward Donohue with a payment of $16,400. For an additional $10,000, John H. Steel designed a jail directly behind the courthouse. Because of rising costs associated with changes in design, officials dissolved the building contract and hired individual contractors to finish the work. The two buildings consequently cost $75,000 upon completion in 1872. Interest on the construction debt compounded over the years until the county paid it off in 1939. Local lore maintained the cost had reached seven figures, giving it the name, “Million Dollar Courthouse.” Historian James Hulse estimates the final cost at about $800,000.
History: The first county seat was Crystal Springs and was moved to Hiko in 1867. In 1871, the county seat was moved to Pioche and the first courthouse was constructed in 1871 to 1872 and is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939.
County Courthouse – Pioche
Old County Courthopuse – Pioche
Photos taken 2008 and 2013