Fentress County is named for James Fentress, who was a State of Tennessee legislator.
Created: November 28, 1823
Jamestown 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Jamestown
Location: 101 South Main Street / Central Avenue
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Walter Chamberlain and Company of Knoxville
Contractor: W R Harper
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored Crab Orchard stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a central projecting section with entrance on the first story. Wings extend north and south. On the roof is a large square white colored cupola with clock and dome. The roof is hipped and flat along the wings. The wings were added on either side in 1974. The architect was Clemmons & Gingles and the contractor was Blair & Blair. A jail was built on the back in 1979.
Note: The first courthouse was a brick structure in Jamestown built by John Albertson and other in 1828. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1860 and burned in 1905.
N – Pickett County
W – Overton County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018