Overton County is named for John Overton, who was one of the co-founders of Memphis.
Created: September 11, 1806
Monroe 1806 – 1835
Livingston 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Livingston
Location: 100 East Court Square / West Main Street
Built: 1868 – 1869
Architect: Josiah S Copeland
Contractor: Josiah S Copeland
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown-red colored brick structure. The rectangular building is located in the Court Square in the center of the city. The entrances are arched. The roof is hipped with gable ends on the east and west sides. The large courtroom is located on the second story. Repairs were made in 1934 and the building was renovated in 1978 to 1979. The architect was Thomas-Miller Architects of Nashville and the contractor was Jacobs Construction of Nashville.
Note: The first court met at the home of Benjamin Totten on Eagle Creek. The first courthouse was built in Monroe in 1810. In 1835, the county seat was moved to Livingston and the second courthouse was built on Court Square. The third courthouse was built in 1855 and was burned in 1865 during the Civil War. The cost of construction of the fourth and present courthouse was $9,999.
County Justice Center – Livingston
Location: 900 North Church Street / Pondexter Drive
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: J Mark Rodgers of Cookeville
Contractor: W & O Construction Company of Cookeville.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. On the west side is a one story section hipped roof and a section with flat roof line with central entrance on the northwest side. The building is connected to the two story jail.
S – Putnam County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2018