Van Buren County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Van Buren County
Van Buren

Van Buren County is named for Martin Van Buren, who was President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – White County

E – Cumberland County and Bledsoe County

S – Sequatchie County

W – Warren County

 

Created:  January 3, 1840                      Map of Tennessee highlighting Van Buren County

County Seat: 

Spencer  1840 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Spencer  

 

Location:  179 Veterans Square / College Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Federal

Architect:  L E Hawthorne and J H Roy

Contractor  L E Hawthorne and J H Roy

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the west side of the center of Spencer. The building is rectangular with a central entrance on the south side which is framed with white colored wood. The windows are vertical and narrow. On the center of the roof is a rectangular white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The courtroom was located on the second story. The building is now owned by the Historical Society and is no longer used as a courthouse.

 

County Courthouse – Spencer  

 

1581t18

 

Location:  121 Taft Drive / Highway 111

Built:  2016 – 2018

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Upland Design Group Inc. of Crossville

Contractor  J Cumby Construction Inc. of Cookeville

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of the city. The east front has ha central entrance with a high concrete section which projects from the main building and has two vertical windows on the second story. A narrow horizontal concrete belt run between the first and second stories.  And a wide horizontal belt runs along the extended flat roof line. The building contains the Commissioner’s Room and the Courtroom. The building is named as the County Administrative Facility.

 

Note: The former County Administration Building at 500 College Street and Cook Street was a former school. The building was destroyed by fire in 1915.

 

History:  The first court met at the home of William Worthington and in 1840, the first courthouse was  an old house purchased in Spencer. The second courthouse was built in 1848 by Nathan F Trogden. The building was damaged during a storm and a courthouse committee awarded a contract on August 2, 1904 to built a third courthouse on the same site and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2016 to 2018.

 

 

1034t12

Old County Courthouse – Spencer

 

 

1037t12

 

 

1953c14

 

 

1952c14

 

 

1955c14

 

 

1956c14

Former Courtroom

 

 

1957c14

 

 

1958c14

 

 

x_2

Commissioner Minutes – building courthouse

 

 

1948c14

 

 

1949c14

 

 

1580t18

County Courthouse – Spencer

 

 

1586t18

 

 

1584t18

 

 

1587e18

 

 

1589t18

 

 

1590t18

Commissioner’s Room

 

 

1591t18

 

 

1592t18

Courtroom

 

 

1593t18

 

 

1594t18

 

 

1595t18

 

 

1596t18

 

 

1597t18

 

 

1598t18

 

 

1943c14

Former County Administration Building ( destroyrd by fire )

 

 

1942c14

 

 

1941c14

 

 

1944c14

Photos taken 2012, 2014 and 2018