Claiborne County is named for William C C Claiborne, who was a Governor of Louisiana and a Governor of the Mississippi Territory.
Created: October 29, 1801
Tazewell 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Tazewell
Location: 1749 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Architect: Baumann & Baumann of Knoxville
Contractor: V L Nicholson and Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a projecting center section with stone facing on the first story with center recessed entrance. Four columns rise from the second story to a pediment at the roof line. The second story windows are trimmed with small pediments above. The third story has small square windows. A horizontal belt runs below the second story windows. The roof is hipped. At the rear of the building is the old stone jail.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by W H Strum in 1867. The building burned in 1931.
See: The architect, Baumann & Baumann of Knoxville, designed the courthouse in Grainger County.
E – Hancock County
W – Campbell County
Photos taken 2012