Montgomery County is named for John Montgomery, who was a leader of the Nickjack Expedition.
Created: April 9, 1796
Clarksville 1796 – present
County Courts Center – Clarksville
Location: 2 Millenium Plaza / Franklin Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Rufus Johnson Architects
Contractor: Ray Bell Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the north of the courthouse in the center of the city. The south front has a large arch in the center. The top two stories are recessed with large two story window in the center with peak rising above the roof line. The lower part of the building is concrete and the upper part is red colored brick. The roof line is flat. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – Clarksville
Location: 1 Millenium Plaza / Franklin Street
Built: 1879 – 1880
Style: Second Empire
Architect: G W Bunting of Indianapolis, Indiana and C G Rosenplanter
Contractor: McCormack and Sweeney of Columbus, Indiana
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a porch on the first story and three arched windows on the second story. Above on the second and third stories are three windows with arches on the third story. At the roof line is a parapet rising above the roof line with statue of Justice. The corners of the building has square brick towers rising to steep roofs. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with clock and steep roof with eagle weather vain at the top. The base of the building is course stone. The former courtroom which is now used by the Commissioners is located on the south side of the second story.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed by James Adams on Spring Street and Main Street in 1796. The second courthouse was constructed in 1811. The third courthouse was constructed in 1843 and was destroyed by fire in 1878. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1879. The building was damaged by fire on March 12, 1900 and restored. The architect was Kenneth McDonald of Louisville, Kentucky and the contractor was Charles A Moses of Chicago, Illinois. On January 22, 1999, the building was destroyed by a tornado and was rebuilt. The architect was Lyle, Cook and Martin of Clarksville and the contractor was R C Matthews of Nashville. The cost of construction of the courthouse in 1879 was $100,000.
W – Stewart County
County Courts Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018