Putnam County is named for Israel Putnam, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 2, 1842
Cookeville 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Cookeville
Location: 300 East Spring Street / Lowe Avenue
Built: 1899 – 1900
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: James Yeaman
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a recessed center section with large portico supported by four high pillars rising to a header at the roof line. Above the entrance is a large arched window. On either side of the center are smaller arched windows. The corners of the building are hexagonal. The roof line is flat. The old courtroom is located on the second story. On the north side is a lower two story addition built in 1962. The architect was Wilson & Odom.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1854 and burned,. A second courthouse was built in 1855 and a third courthouse during the Civil War in 1866.
County Justice Center – Cookeville
Location: 421 East Spring Street / Lowe Avenue
Built: 1991 – 1993
Architect: Barge, Waggoner, Sumner & Cannon, Inc.
Contractor: Highland Rim Constructors, Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city.The northwest front has a large open portico with four columns rising to a pediment with large open circle. Behind is a concave section with entrance on the first story and arched windows on the second story. The southeast side has a recessed porch. The building extends east with a large eastern wing which extends south.The roof line is flat.
W – Smith County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2018