Robeson County is named for Thomas Robeson, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War.
Lumberton 1788 – present
County Courthouse – Lumberton
Location: 500 North Elm Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story red-orange colored course stone, polished stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The building was constructed from 1907 to 1908 as a Greek Revival structure. In 1974 to 1975, the building was completely remodeled. At the west front is a projecting glass bay with four square pillars rising to a pediment at the roof. On either side of the bay are square entrance sections with peaked roofs. The base on the first story is course stone and the upper stories are faced with polished stone. The architect was Lee & Thompson and the contractor was T A Nye & Sons Inc. A new facade and addition on the east side were added in 2005. The architect was Sutton-Kennedy Associates Inc. and MC Architecture Inc. and the contractor was M & E Contracting Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1788 on land donated by John Willis. The second courthouse was built in 1848. The third courthouse is the remodeled 1908 courthouse.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
W – Scotland County
Picture 1908 Courthouse
Photos taken 2008 and 2014