Marlboro County

US States / O-U / South Carolina / Marlboro County
1171SC08

Marlboro County is named for John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Anson County, North Carolina, Richmond County, North Carolina and Scotland County, North Carolina

E – Scotland County, North Carolina, Robeson County, North Carolina and Dillon County

S – Florence County

W – Darlington County and Chesterfield County

 

Created:  March 2, 1875                         Map of South Carolina highlighting Marlboro County

County Seat: 

Pee Dee River  1785 – 1819

Bennettsville     1819 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bennettsville  

 

Location:  105 Main Street / Broad Street

Built:  1951 – 1952

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Henry D Harrall

Contractor:  H J Munnerlyn, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bennettsville. The southeast front has vertical pilasters with red colored brick between. The north and south ends of the building have doorways and are faced with light colored concrete blocks. On the center of the roof is a large white colored clock tower with open octagonal cupola at the top. In the interior, the large County Circuit Court courtroom is located along the north side of the second story with windows along the north and south sides. The small courtroom is located on the southwest side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Family Court and County Probate Court of the 4th Judicial Circuit. To the northwest is the County Administration Building at 205 East Market Street. To the southeast is the County Justice Complex at 266 Throop Street housing the County Magistrate Court.

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Chesterfield CountyDarlington County and Dillon County

 

History:  The county was created in 1755 and Pee Dee River was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Pee Dee River in 1785. The county seat was moved to Bennettsville in 1819 and the second courthouse was built. The third courthouse was built in 1852. The fourth courthouse was constructed by Jacob S Allen in 1885. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1951 to 1952.

 

 

1165sc08

County Courthouse – Bennettsville

 

 

1166sc08

 

 

1168sc08

 

 

1169sc08

 

 

1167sc08

 

 

1429g24

 

 

1431g24

 

 

1170sc08

 

 

1435g24

 

 

1436g24

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

1437g24

 

 

1438g24

 

 

1440g24

 

 

1442g24

 

 

1445g24

 

 

1446g24

 

 

1447g24

County Circuit Court small courtroom

 

 

1448g24

 

 

1450g24

 

 

1173sc08

 

 

1174sc08

 

 

1185sc08

Photos taken 2008 and 2024