Anson County is named for George, Lord Anson, who was a celebrated English admiral and who circumnavigated the globe in 1740 to 1744.
Created: March 17, 1749
Wadesboro 1750 – present
County Courthouse – Wadesboro
Location: 119 North Washington Street / Martin Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Wheeler and Stern of Charlotte
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a large porch at the front with four large columns rising to a wide header extending up to a frieze. The recessed second story windows are arched. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1869. The building was remodeled in 1893. The architect was A G Bauer.
E – Richmond County
W – Union County
Photos taken 2008