Bladen County is named for Martin Bladen, who was a member of the Board of Trade.
Elizabethtown 1734 – present
County Courthouse – Elizabethtown
Location: 106 East Broad Street / South Poplar Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: J L Williams of Matthews, North Carolina
Contractor: Dickenson Incorporated of Monroe, North Carolina
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a white colored concrete facing in the center section with a canopy over the entrance. On the second story are narrow vertical windows. The east and west wings are lower. The window sections are framed with white trim.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1893 and an addition was added in 1925. The building was torn down.
S – Columbus County
W – Robeson County
Photos taken 2008 and 2014