Scotland County is named for the country of Scotland in the British Isles.
Created: February 20, 1889
Laurinburg 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Laurinburg
Location: 212 Biggs Street / East Cronly Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: W E Matthews
Contractor: Speros Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a high canopy supported by two brick pillars at the west entrance. The building has large square projecting corner and large arched windows. The roof line is flat. In 1991, the building was remodeled with an addition constructed on the west front. The architect was Snowden & Associates. On the south side of the building is the one story Courthouse Annex.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Oliver D Wheeler and James M McMichael and constructed by L W Cooper in 1901.
E – Robeson County
S – Marlboro County, South Carolina
W – Richmond County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2008 and 2014