Richmond County is named for Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond, who was a firm supporter of the American colonists and who advocated removal of British troops.
Created: November 10, 1779
Richmond County Courthouse 1779 – 1784
Rockingham 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Rockingham
Location: 114 East Franklin Street / Hancock Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Charles Christian Hook of Charlotte
Contractor: J P Little & Son
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a large porch at the front with six large columns rising to a wide header extending up to a fourth story with windows. The entrance is recessed on the second story. The building descends a hill on the south side and the second story has arched windows. An addition was been added on the south side in 1978. The architect was Williams and Associates of Matthews..
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1884.
County Judicial Center – Rockingham
Location: 105 West Franklin Street / South Lee Street
Built: 2006 – 2009
Architect: Warebonsall Architects
Contractor: Bordeaux Construction Company
Description: The building faces north is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The north front has an entrance on the northeast corner with vertical glass windows rising to the fourth story. On the east side are projecting sections. At the top of the building are two horizontal belts. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Rockingham
Location: 125 South Hancock Street / Franklin Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Louis A Simon
Contractor: George O Von Nerta.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has three entrance doorways divided by brick dividers topped by white colored stone which forms a horizontal band across the building. The building is the former Post Office.
S – Marlboro County, South Carolina
W – Anson County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2008 and 2014