Horry County is named for Peter Horry, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 19, 1801
Conway 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Conway
Location: 1201 3rd Avenue / Beaty Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Leitner & Wilkins of Wilmington, North Carolina
Contractor: Henry P Little of Conway
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building has a portico on the front supported by four large white colored columns rising to a header at the top of the second story. There is a small balcony above the entrance. Above the header is a third story in the central section with octagonal cupola in the center of the roof. The north and south wings project with four white colored columns rising to the top of the second story. The building was renovated in 1964. The architect was Baker & Gill and the contractor was Dargan Construction Company.
County Justice Center – Conway
Location: 1301 2nd Avenue / Beaty Street
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: Stevens & Wilkinson of South Carolina
Contractor: M B Kahn Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story reddish colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a high portico at the front supported by eight square white colored pillars with pediment above. The north and south wings are on story with the second story rising behind and in the center section. There is an open lobby on the southeast connecting to a three story wing on the southeast containing the Justice Center.
Old County Courthouse – Conway
Location: 229 Main Street / 3rd Avenue
Built: 1824 – 1825
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston
Contractor: Russell Warren.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The northeast front has a large portico with an arched recessed entrance on the first story and with four white colored columns rising to a pediment on the second story. The second story windows are arched. The roof is hipped. The building is now the City Hall.
E – Atlantic Ocean
Photos taken 2008