Cumberland County is named for Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, who was a military leader and son of George II of Great Britain.
Created: February 19, 1754
Fayetteville 1754 – present
County Courthouse – Fayetteville
Location: 117 Dick street / East Franklin Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: MacMillan & MacMillan
Contractor: Tandy Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a five story concrete and glass style structure. The west front has a two story concrete projecting section with entrance on the first story. The building has double windows on all sides. The roof line is flat. Renovation was done in 2012. The architect was Gordon John Architecture and the contractor was Graham Construction.
Old County Courthouse – Fayetteville
Location: 130 Gillespie Street / East Franklin Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Harry Barton
Contractor: William P Rose
Description: The building faces east and is a three story structure. The east front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. The building now houses offices.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Elliott Brothers and built in 1893.
N – Harnett County
E – Sampson County
S – Bladen County
Photos taken 2014