Schuyler County is named for Philip Schuyler, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and later a United States Senator from New York.
Created: April 17, 1854
Montour Falls 1854 – 1867
Watkins Glen 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Watkins Glen
Location: 105 9th Street / North Franklin Street
Built: 1855 – 1856
Architect: James A Drake and William Newman of Drake & Newman
Contractor: James A Drake and William Newman of Drake & Newman
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure and is part of the three building complex with the Clerk’s Office and Sheriff’s Office..The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Watkins Glen. The west front has a small portico supported by four columns with pediment above. Above the front section is a high square white wood cupola with gold dome at the top. The roof is hipped. An addition was added in 1952. The building was renovated in 1973. The architect was Frederic J Licht. A further addition was added on the north side in 1993. The architect was John Harvey Associates of Geneva and the contractor was McGuire & Bennett of Ithaca.
Note: After a protracted legal battle with Havana ( Montour Falls ) for the county seat, interests in Watkins won out and the clerk’s office and jail were added and completed by 1868.
Old County Courthouse – Montour Falls
Location: 330 West Main Street / Genesee Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Gillispie and Coreyell.
Contractor: Gillispie and Coreyell.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Montour Falls and is constructed of brick, the structure is prostyle tetrastyle. The front has a large portico with six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The original door and sidelights, as well as Grecian styled hanging lamps, all contribute to the facade. The most conspicuous is the octagonal wood frame cupola rising high above the building. The building is now the Montour Village Hall.
E – Tompkins County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2014