Madison County

US States / N / New York / Madison County
Madison

Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.

 

Created:  March 21, 1806

County Seat:

Sullivan / Hamilton  1806 – 1810

Cazenovia               1810 – 1817

Morrisville                1817 – 1907

Wampsville              1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wampsville

 

Location:  138 North Court Street / West Elm Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James Riely Gordon

Contractor:  W H Fissell Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone style structure. The building is constructed in the form of a “T”. The north front has a large projecting portico with eight columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. At the top of the pediment is an eagle in flight. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. On the center of the roof is a large round dome with gold colored roof and the Statue of Justice at the top.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by J K Laas DeRuyter and built by George E Marrin in Morrisville in 1865.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

County Administration – Wampsville

 

1514k10

 

Location:  138 North Court Street / West Elm Street

Built:  1968 – 1969

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hueber Hare Glavin Partnership

Contractor:  Murray Walter inc. and Kenneth A Taylor Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story limestone and glass structure. The first story is recessed. The second story has horizontal glass walls. The roof line is flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Morrisville

 

0191nj17

 

Location:  Main Street / Chenango Street

Built:  1865 – 1866

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  J K Lass DeRuyter

Contractor:  George E Morris

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story rectangular structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the campus of the State University of New York in Morrisville. The building is named as the Madison Hall. The north front has a one story porch with three arches. On the second story is a large arched window with narrow arched windows on either side. On the roof is an octagonal cupola. The roof is hipped.  An addition was added in 1872.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Osewego County and Oneida County

E – Oneida County and Otsego County

S – Chenango County

W – Cortland County and Onondaga County

 

 

 

1513k10

 

 

1504k10

 

 

1505k10

 

 

1506k10

 

 

1510k10

 

 

1512k10

 

 

1515k10

 

 

1516k10

 

 

1517k10

 

 

0189nj17

 

 

0190nj17

 

 

0192nj17

 

 

0193nj17

 

 

0196nj17

 

 

0198nj17

 

 

0201nj17

 

 

0203nj17

 

 

0204nj17

 

 

0205nj17

 

 

0207nj17

Photos taken 2010 and 2017