Otsego County is named for a Native American word meaning “place of the rock”.
Created: February 16, 1791
Cooperstown 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Cooperstown
Location: 139 Main Street / Pine Drive
Built: 1880 – 1881
Architect: Archimedes Russell of Syracuse
Contractor: R S Barnes and McCabe Brothers.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has an arched entrance on the first story with small pediment above. On the second story is a large arched window with peaked roof above. On the northeast side is a small brick tower with steep roof and on the southeast is a high square brick tower with open arched windows and a steep roof. The building has stone trim on the corners and above the windows.
County Administration – Cooperstown
Location: 197 Main Street / Nelson Avenue
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Myron A Jordan
Contractor: Tomaselli Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story orange colored brick and concrete structure. The main entrance is at the northwest section of the building. Along the west and east sides are vertical brick pillars on either sides of the windows. The roof line is flat.
See: Otsego County in Michigan which is named after the county.
E – Schohaire County
S – Delaware County
Photos taken 2010