Tioga County is named for a Native American word meaning “at the forks” which describes a meeting place.
Created: February 21, 1791
Chemung ( Union ) 1791 – 1794
Newtown ( Elmira ) 1794 – 1811
Spencer 1811 – 1822
Owego 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Owego
Location: 21 Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Architect: Miles F Howe of Owego
Contractor: A H Keeler and S Houk
Description: The building faces south and is a two story light red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Owego. On each corner of the building are three story square brick towers which rise ninety-two feet. At the south front, there is a small portico supported by four thin columns with balcony above. On the second story, are three arched windows with arch at the roof line. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1931.
Note: In 1791, the first court met at the home of George Hornell in Cheming ( Union ). As Tioga County was large, a courthouse was built at Union in 1793 and at Chenango Point ( Birminghamton ) in 1793. A courthouse was built in Newtown ( Elmira ) in 1794. In 1811, Spencer became the county seat and a two story wood courthouse was built by Andrew Purdy at a cost of $5595. The building burned in 1822 and a temporary courthouse was built. The county seat was moved to Owego and a courthouse was built by Ralph Manning of Berkshire and Seth Bacon of Candor. The courthouse was remodeled in 1852 by John Gorman and Chauncey Hungerford. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $69,225.
County Clerk’s Office – Owego
Location: 20 Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Description: The building faces west and is a one story building. The building is located in the center of Owego on the east side of the courthouse. The roof line is flat.
E – Broome County
County Clerk’s Office
Photos taken 2010 and 2017