Yates County

US States / N / New York / Yates County
Yates

Yates County is named for Joseph C Yates, who was the eight Governor of New York.

 

Created:  February 5, 1823

County Seat:

Penn Yan  1823 – present

 

County Courthouse – Penn Yan  

 

Location:  415 Liberty Street / Chappel Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  MRB Group

Contractor:  Bovis Lend Lease

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front has a high portico supported by four columns with pediment at the roof line. The base of the building is white colored concrete. There are large arched windows. A white colored band runs below the roof line. The roof is hipped.

 

Old County Courthouse – Penn Yan  

 

2181k10

 

Location:  415 Liberty Street / Chappel Street

Built:  1834 – 1835

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  William Shattuck of Benton and George Sherman and Samuel Stewart of Milo

Contractor:  William Shattuck of Benton and George Sherman and Samuel Stewart of Milo

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the Courthouse Park with the old Clerk’s office on the north side. The east side has a large tetrastyle wooden portico with four white colored Doric columns.  Above is a wide pediment surmounted by a louvered white colored cupola and bell tower on the ridge of the gable roof. The fine design and carving of the central oak doors is also found throughout the interior on the oak stairways, wainscoting, windows and door moldings. On the west side is a sympathetic brick rear addition which was constructed in 1909.

 

Old County Office – Penn Yan  

 

2186k10

 

Location:  415 Liberty Street / Chappel Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is along the south side of the old courthouse. The building has Romanesque arches, corbeled brick and stone lintels. The east front has two large arches with recessed arched windows. The northeast corner has a square tower.  On the roof is peaked. The two modern rear additions were constructed in 1957 and 1969.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $11,000. On the lawn in front of the courthouse is the Civil War Monument.

 

County Administration – Penn Yan  

 

2164k10

 

Location:  415 Liberty Street / Chappel Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  MRB Group

Contractor:  Bovis Lend Lease

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The south front has a one story portico supported by two pillars.  Above at the roof line is a large peaked section.  The roof on the west side is hipped.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Ontario County

E – Seneca County and Schuyler County

S – Schuyler County and Steuben County

W – Steuben County and Ontario County

 

 

 

2172k10

 

 

2176k10

 

 

2178k10

 

 

2179k10

 

 

2180k10

 

 

2183k10

 

 

2184k10

 

 

2185k10

 

 

2170k10

 

 

2171k10

 

 

2188k10

 

 

2189k10

 

 

2190k10

 

 

2191k10

 

 

2192k10

Photos taken 2010