Cortland County is named for Pierre Van Cortlandt, who was the first Lieutenant Governor of New York.
Created: April 8, 1808
Cortland 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Cortland
Location: 25 Court Street / Greenbush Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: James Riely Gordon
Contractor: A E Stephens Corporation.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The building forms a “T” shape. The north front has a projecting center section with three rectangular entrances on the first story, and there are six columns on the second and third stories with recessed windows. On the center of the roof is a large round dome with thin columns, gold roof and small cupola at the top.
Note: The previous courthouse was a red coloured brick structure built in 1836 and was destroyed by fire in 1924.
County Administration – Cortland
Location: 60 Central Avenue / Greenbush Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building was the Cortland Central School. An addition was constructed in 1923. The building was remodeled in 1930.
N – Onondaga County
Photos taken 2010