Steuben County is named for Baron Frederick von Steuben, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 12. 1772
Bath 1772 – present
County Courthouse – Bath
Location: 3 Pulteney Square / East Steuben Street
Built: 1859 – 1860
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: S S May and Brewster.
Contractor: S S May and Brewster.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bath. The county government complex is comprised of the Courthouse, Clerk’s Office and Surrogate Office with the modern administration building on the east side. The west front has a large portico supported by two large white colored columns with wide header and pediment above. The windows are narrow and high. On the roof above the west side is a large square white colored cupola with small round cupola at the top. The building was renovated in 1885.
W – Allegany County
Photos taken 2010