Seneca County

US States / N / New York / Seneca County
Seneca

Seneca County is named for the Seneca Native American tribe.

 

Created:  March 29, 1804

County Seat:

Ovid         1806 – present

Waterloo  1818 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waterloo

 

Location:  48 William Street / Park Place

Built:  1817 – 1818

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  John Sayre, John Lyon and Luther R La Battelle

Contractor:  John Sayre, John Lyon and Luther R La Battelle

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The center section of the south front has a high portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The main entrance is arched and framed with white wood. The east and west wings extend from the main building and rise to pediments. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored dome with gold colored roof. The building was rebuilt in 1914. The architect was William J Beardsley and the contractor was Charles K Benjamin. The building was renovated in 1994. The architect was L Robert Kimball & Associates of Syracuse and the contractor was Lehrer, McGovern Bovis Inc. of Ithaca.

 

County Administration – Waterloo

 

1821k10

 

Location:  1 DiPronio Drive / Thurber Drive

Built:  1987 – 1989

Style:  Modern

Architect:  LARB Group

Contractor:  Lehrer McGovern Bovis Inc. of New York

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a one story portico at the central entrance. The windows are horizontal with white colored bands running above. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Seneca County Office Building.

 

Old County Courthouse – Ovid

 

1806k10

 

Location:  NE – Main Street / East Seneca Street

Built:  1844 – 1845

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Clement Jones and Sidney Grant

Contractor:  O S Latham and O B Latham

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a large porch supported by four high white colored columns with pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a round dome with white colored dome roof.

 

Old County Clerk’s Office – Ovid

 

1811k10

 

Location:  NE – Main Street / East Seneca Street

Built:  1844 – 1845

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Clement Jones and Sidney Grant

Contractor:  O S Latham and O B Latham

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a portico on the west front with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Wayne County

E – Cayuga County and Tompkins County

S – Schuyler County

W – Yates County and Ontario County

 

 

 

1829k10

 

 

1830k10

 

 

1831k10

 

 

1832k10

 

 

1843k10

 

 

1834k10

 

 

1835k10

 

 

1836k10

 

 

1837k10

 

 

1820k10

 

 

1818k10

 

 

1819k10

 

 

1817k10

 

 

1824k10

 

 

1804k10

 

 

1805k10

 

 

1808k10

 

 

1807k10

 

 

1815k10

 

 

1810k10

Photos taken 2010 and 2014