Broome County is named for John Broome, who was a lieutenant governor of New York.
Created: March 28, 1806
Binghamton 1806 – present
County Courthouse – Binghamton
Location: 92 Court Street / Exchange Street
Built: 1897 – 1899
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Isaac Perry
Contractor: Miles Leonard.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story building Ohio sandstone trimmed with bluestone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Hill in the center of Binghamton and is constructed in the form of a “T”. The north front has a classic portico supported by six tall ionic columns with pediment above. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal green dome rising to a small round cupola with the Statue of Justice at the top. The main courtroom is located in the east wing on the second story.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1802 at Chenango Point ( Binghamton ). This courthouse was moved to Courthouse Hill The second courthouse was built in 1829 and the third courthouse was built J Stuart Wells in 1858, This which was a massive brick structure was destroyed by fire in December 1896.
County Courts Building – Binghamton
Location: 65 Hawley Street / Exchange Street
Built: 1997 – 1999
Architect: MRB Group
Contractor: Northland Associates Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the southeast side of the courthouse and is named as the Family and County Courts Building. The main entrance is located at the southwest corner with a large concrete arch with recessed doorway and attached to the main building on the northeast side. The main square shaped building has projecting center sections and the roof line is flat.
County Office Building – Binghamton
Location: 60 Hawley Street / Exchange Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Walter Whitlock
Contractor: W J Burns Company
Description: The building faces south and is a seven story concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse and is named as the George Harvey Justice Building. The south front has a central two story portico with four columns rising to a flat roof and with the main entrance on the first story. The windows are vertical with light brown colored panels between. A wide cornice runs below the upper story and the roof line is flat with a raised center section. The building was renovated in 2007. The architect and contractor was C & S Companies.
County Administration – Binghamton
Location: 44 Hawley Street / Isabel Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Architect: Lacey & Lucas and St. John Associates Consulting Engineers
Contractor: McKee-Burger-Mansueto, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story light brown colored concrete structure. The building is located in the Government Plaza in the center of Binghamton and is located on the east side of the “U” shaped complex formed by three buildings. Named as the Edwin L Crawford County Office Building, it is connected to the Family and County Courts Building on the north side by an overhead walkway. The rectangular shaped building has large recessed windows and roof line is flat.
Sixth Judicial District – Binghamton
Location: 31 Lewis Street / Chenango Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Architect: T I Lacey & Son
Description: The building faces south and is a six story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the north side of the center of Binghamton and is named as the Kilmer Building. The building houses the Sixth Judicial District Administration on the fifth story. The first story houses retail stores.
W – Tioga County
County Office Building
Sixth Judicial District
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2017