Tompkins County is named for Daniel Tompkins, who was the sixth Vice President of the United States.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Cayuga County
Created: April 7, 1817
Ithaca 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Ithaca
Location: 320 North Tioga Street / East Court Street
Built: 1932 – 1833
Architect: J Larkin Baldridge
Contractor: Hunkin-Conkey Construction Company of Cleveland, Ohio
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ithaca. The center section projects slightly and rises to a peaked roof. The north and south wings are lower with a balustrade along the flat roof lines. On the west side is the two story red colored brick County Courthouse Annex.
Old County Courthouse – Ithaca
Location: 121 East Court Street / North Tioga Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Architect: John F Maurice
Contractor: John F Maurice
Description: The building faces south and s a two story rectangular structure. The south west corner has a three story tower. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ithaca. The rectangular building is 57 feet by 75 feet. The foundation is shaly stone is laid in random ashlar. The walls are of red colored brick divided into bays by buttresses, and into stories by a simple moulded belt course just below the second story window sills. The walls are covered with gray colored stucco. Small octagonal corner turrets extend above the roof level. An addition was added in 1894.
History: The county was created in 1817 and Ithaca was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1818 at a cost of $7,000.The second courthouse was built in 1854 to 1855 and is still standing. The third courthouse was built in 1894. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1932 to 1933.
County Courthouse - Ithaca.
County Courthouse Annex – Ithaca
Old County Courthouse - Ithaca.
Photos taken 2010 and 2014