Cayuga County is named for the Cayuga Native American tribe.
Created: March 8, 1799
Aurora 1799 – 1809
Auburn 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Auburn
Location: 152 Genesee Street / Court Street
Built: 1835 – 1836
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John L Hagaman
Contractor: John L Hagaman
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story buff colored stone style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Auburn. The northwest front has a large porch supported by six large columns rising to the top of the second story with windows on the third story and a pediment above. The building was rebuilt after a fire in 1922 and completed in 1924. The third story was added. The architect was Samuel Hilger and Carl C Tallman. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was Beardsley & Beardsley and the contractor was Beardsley & Beardsley.
County Clerk’s Building – Auburn
Location: 158 Genesee Street / Court Street
Built: 1882 – 1883
Architect: Green and Wicks
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of Auburn on the southeast side of the courthouse. The windows on the first and second stories are arched. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Auburn
Location: 160 Genesee Street / Court Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Beardsley & Beardsley
Contractor: The Visconti Corporation
Description: The building faces northwest and is a six story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Auburn. The roof line is flat.
N – Lake Ontario and Osewego County
S – Tompkins County
County Clerk’s Building
Photos taken 2010