Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: April 11, 1823
Lyons 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Lyons
Location: 26 Church Street / William Street
Built: 1853 – 1854
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Henry Searl of Rochester
Contractor: John Adams, Stephen Marshall and Francis E Cornwall
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four high white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is framed with white colored wood. The windows on the second story are long and narrow. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with silver colored roof and parapet at the top. The supervisor was Jacob Scheible. Remodeled in 1897. The architect was Kelly and Headley of Rochester and the contractor was Schreiber and Schattner. In 1957, an addition was added on the north side.
See: The architect, Henry Searl of Rochester also designed the courthouse in Ontraio County.
County Hall of Justice – Lyons
Location: 54 Broad Street / Church Street
Built: 1994 – 1996
Architect: Sear-Brown Group Inc. of Rochester
Contractor: Javen Construction Company Inc. of Penfield
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The south front of the rectangular building has a central entrance on the first story with horizontal windows with buff and black colored horizontal sections between the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The accepted bid for construction was $2,658,000,
N – Lake Ontario and Ontario, Canada
E – Cayuga County
W – Monroe County
Photos taken 2010 and 2014