Onondaga County is named for the Onondaga Native American Tribe.
Created: March 5, 1794
Syracuse 1794 – present
County Courthouse – Syracuse
Location: 401 Montgomery Street / East Jefferson Street
Built: 1904 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Archimedes Russell of Syracuse and Melvin King ( supervisor )
Contractor: Wells Brothers & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story stone structure. The west front has a large portico with three arched entrances on the second story with balcony above and six thin columns rising from the third story to a pediment at the top of the fourth story. There are small cupolas on either side of the pediment. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with copper roof and small cupola at the top. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Horatio Nelson White and built in 1856.
County Criminal Courthouse – Syracuse
Location: 505 South State Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Ashley McGraw Architects of Syracuse
Contractor: Murnane Building Contractors of Syracuse and Northland Associates, Inc. of Syracuse
Description: The building faces west and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The west front has glass panels with a projecting canopy. The second and third stories has a glass panel corner section. The roof line is flat. The Construction Manager was J D Taylor Construction Company of Syracuse.
County Justice Center – Syracuse
Location: 555 South State Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1992 – 1995
Architect: Quinlivan Pierck and Krause and STV Group
Description: The building faces west and is a five story glass and concrete structure. The building is named as the Patrick J Corbett Justice Center. The building forms a “U” shape with recessed glass entrance at the center. The lower part is red colored brick and the upper part is buff colored brick. The roof line is flat. The building houses the detention facilities.
Fifth Judicial District – Syracuse
Location: 600 State Street / Madison Street
Built: 1956 – 1957
Architect: Harry A King and F Curtis King
Description: The building faces east and is an eight story glass and concrete structure. The building is rectangular and is named as the Edward Kochian County Office Building and houses the Fifth Judicial District Administration.
N – Oswego County
E – Madison County
S – Cortland County
W – Cayuga County
photos taken 2010